Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Book by Natalie

The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies: 365 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Dayby Natalie Savona

Backstory: I purchased this book on juicing perhaps around the time it came out in 2003. I can't recall what sparked my interest in it though I think that might have coincided with the once-every-few-years carrot juice my parents would make. It could certainly be that I was inspired to make that carrot juice more bearable after I found the secret within this book that indeed other ingredients could be added!
Perhaps to give some backstory in explanation: it tends to take me a while to really absorb information or to stick to a hobby/project for a prolonged period of time (though I always seem to return to things at the strangest times!)

After a renovation of my room I rediscovered a variety of books that were behind other books on my crammed bookshelves and this gem was among them. Then after sitting around for another year or two (always with the intention to really try all 365 juices) came two events I think that sparked my drive to do this:

time again for another glass of once-every-few-years carrot juice
and
watching the film Julie & Julia (wherein Julie attempts to do all the recipies in one of Julia Child's book within 365 days)

Though I hardly begin with the thought of being on a journey anything like that, I must say the movie did revive in me that spark of competition almost. To actually make and try all those wonderful edibles and by challenging oneself to do so in a specific time period certainly appealed to me. Perhaps blogging about it would help motivate me! So here I start on this project to really see if this juicing business is all it's cracked up to be.

The Book : Aside from all the wonderful recopies in a handy spiral book, Natalie includes various tips on juicing and making smoothies that don't overwhelm the book. She mentions what types of fruits and vegetables are good to use and their properties. Alongside each recipe she includes what nutrients your body benefits from and there is a 5 star system for 5 categories: Energy, Detox, Immunity, Digestion, and Skin. This is particularly useful and is referenced by an index that points you to different juices/smoothies based on ailments. Useful as well is the index by ingredient to help you see at a glance what options you have for a specific drink. For instance, I was quite surprised to see the variety under beet and kale!

No comments:

Post a Comment